Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Kleenex or Pasta For Dinner?

So I have to break away from my memoirs for a second to address the issue of models eating tissue paper to loose weight. I just had a little kaffeeklatsch with some girlfriends this weekend, and seeing as all three of us modeled together, modeling is a topic that we always end up talking about. We reminisce about our days in the Industry and we gossip about the insanity of all the reality series devoted to models, modeling, etc., and of course we roll our eyes at the dirt the Industry gets thrown its way.

This time the hot topic was the fact that designers in Spain are now requiring models to be a certain weight, basically not be emaciated, because some young models have literally starved themselves to death in order to "fit" the ideal runway body prototype. We also tried to wrap our brains around the fact that it is being said that models are resorting to a diet of water and tissue paper in order to fill themselves up without gaining any weight. I am totally shocked by this. In all of my years modeling, I really only met three or four girls who had eating disorders. I knew more "normal" girls in college who were anorexic or bulimic than I did while working in any of the fashion capitals I spent time in. For the most part, the models I met and knew were genetically predisposed to be thin. I have to say that I am part of this group and have always loathed having people make snide remarks about how I must not eat. I eat. Like a horse. Always have and always will. Having others automatically assume that you starve yourself in order to be thin is irritating to say the least. And with this new scandal of models eating paper products to stay skinny, I'm sure a lot of the healthy and naturally thin girls working the runways and photo studios now are being even more bombarded by rude comments, assumptions and skepticism.

It is a sad day for modeling when news like this makes the headlines. I have been pressured before to lose some weight while modeling. In Tokyo I was asked to loose weight as they wanted me to turn my 34 inch hips to 33 inch hips in a week. Needless to say I went home early. How the hell are you supposed to have 33 inch hips after puberty? In Milan I was asked to loose half an inch on my hips and go from 34 1/2 inch hips to 34 inch ones, but I didn't and still worked consistently. Pasta, panini and gelato were my diet staples, never toilet paper or lettuce. I actually just don't see how it is possible to starve yourself when you are in Italy or France, or anywhere else for that matter. Food, and delicious food at that, is everywhere. If I had to choose between a week of eating wood pulp to land a major campaign or an enormoous bowl of fettucine, you would see me with a napkin tucked into my shirt and noodles sticking out of my mouth. Nuff said.

I just hope this new generation of models wakes up and realizes that nothing is worth losing one's health. Not to mention the fact that Kleenex just ain't that tasty.....unless maybe it came in a buffalo wing flavor. Pass the Ranch!

5 comments:

Joan P. said...

Oh man ~ I think the whole Spain issue is ridiculous and blown out of proportion. Yes, the girls are extremely thin, but you can't say 99% of them have an eating disorder. I mean some girls just cannot gain weight. Or they are like 13-18 years old and haven't really grown up yet. Up until I was 20, I was like 100 lb, thin as a rail, ate like a big fat pig and didn't gain a thing.

I have never met a model with an eating disorder - even though I modeled in small markets, I've worked/met with models that have been to Europe, etc and they eat! I've had this discussion before with them and they also said they have maybe met 1 girl w/ an eating disorder. You are right - I have heard/met more college kids w/ eating disorders than models.

I've been getting shit/comments about my weight FOREVER. Why is it okay to be rude to skinny ppl but not fat ppl. I mean, how many stories do you hear of famous models saying "I was terrorized as a kid for being so skinny." Same shit. Some people think I don't eat either - at a dinner party recently, they ran out of food and assumed it would be okay to give me a smaller portion because I'm skinny - I must not eat, right? Needless to say, I was starving by the end of the night. =(

As for Europe, I eat sooooo much fatty foods but I always end up losing weight because I walk so much. You can't get away from food in Europe. ;)

Morayma said...

thank you!!! so glad to hear from someone who knows EXACTLY what i am talking about! :-)

and i agree.....why is it okay to make fun of skinny people and not fat people? what is up with the double standard? high school was awful for me. i was always getting called "chicken legs" and "pipe cleaner". i stopped wearing shorts and skirts for a really long time because of that. it gave me a huge complex.

and i know what you mean also about being given the smaller portions at dinners, etc. i have had similar things happen to me. people assuming that i dont want a piece of cake for dessert and totally passing me up. i also happen to drink a lot of water and therefore inevitably have to pee after dinner....but when out with a group of people i often feel paranoid to get up and pee after eating for fear of "oh, i bet she is puking her food up" comments surfacing. people are ruthless.

and europe is AWESOME (in so many ways!) for it's food....and look at how fit everyone is!!! of course, everyone there rides bikes and walks a lot more than we do here, where people will drive two blocks to order a Big Mac & fries. lolol!

IntricateGirl said...

I got in a mini flame war this weekend over this exact issue. Someone came onto my blog and started with the "I'd like to buy the model a hamburger" comment. A) She'd probably eat it and ask for fries too if she's like the rest of my naturally thin friends. B) Quit being a jerk. C) What's that got to do with an ugly YSL outfit??

I am FAR from a size 0, but the same people who would never dare to call me fat would have no problem calling you skinny to your face. And how is overeating not an eating disorder too? The fact is, there are too many people who are pissed that they don't look like you, so they have to try and make you feel as bad about yourself as possible. It's being a bully. I'm jealous as hell that I'm not thin, but it's not your fault, and trying to make you feel guilty about it isn't right.

Finally, why in the world would they think you would eat tissues and drink water. To someone watching the scale obsessively and in an unhealthy way, even the water is going to add weight they don't want. It's not only rude, it doesn't make any sense.

Joan P. said...

Omg me too! Everyone used to call me chicken legs. I had a complex about it as well - I didn't really wear shorts/skirts until probably in the middle of college when I really started to appreciate my skinny legs. ;)

Even at work in the office, ppl still comment to me. I always get the "oh you are so skinny." Then they look me up and down. And I'm like "uh... thanks... I think?" I swear, I got that 10x in the past few months. I am not even model skinny anymore. (34-26.5-34.5)

Oh ~I used to suffer from very bad migraines which would cause me to throw up. My ex's sister was like "maybe you are bulemic." UH wtf - it's like go google MIGRAINE and see the symptoms idiot. hehehe.

You make a good point about water. I actually never thought about that, and I drink like a fish and pee even more. =P

Morayma said...

hey intricate!!! i have missed ya! i'm never on BP anymore....but that was a fun run while it lasted. anyways, thanks for your comment. i cant believe someone would make a comment like that on your blog....so random and unnecessary. and your a-c is totally right on the money!

i just wish people would keep their opinions about other people's weight, etc. to themselves. if we all just went about our own business and stopped making snide comments about fat, skinny and everything in between, this would be a lot healthier of a world.