Saturday, February 17, 2007

My First BIG Booking in Milan

Although working for catalogs and department stores should qualify as "big bookings" because the day rates are phenomenal, what really makes a booking "big" is the name of who you are working for. If you work for a major magazine, you will probably make a few bucks...literally...nothing to speak of, but you can say that you shot for Elle or Bazaar....or, prize of all prizes....Vogue. And when other clients find out that you shot for any of the afore mentioned mags and their partners, the chances of landing even bigger and better bookings (yes, money jobs!) grows substantially.

A week after my insane ride in Venice, I got a call on my cell from Fabio at the agency letting me know that I had booked an editorial for Vogue Sposa. Vogue Sposa is a cutting edge bridal magazine put out by Italian Vogue. I was thrilled! Even though it wasn't like I had booked a high fashion editorial for Italian Vogue itself, this was pretty damned close and good enough for me. After going to several castings at the Vogue offices and feeling like an imp next to all the preteen, amazonian gazelles with their 30 inch hips and waist length coifs.....I have to admit that booking this job gave me a prettty big confidence boost.

The following is my journal entry from the day of the booking, still magic to me after all these years.:

5/2

I worked for Vogue Sposa today. Me...working for Vogue! We shot on location at a magnificent 18th century villa with rolling lawns and splendid gardens. The kind of setting I once imgained myself living in as a child with fairytale dreams. I looked like an Edwardian princess in black & white billowing skirts, top hats and velvet blouses with kravats. So magical. I felt like I was transported in time. A dream come true on so many levels. I can't wait to see this editorial! I shot with 5 male models and it was all laughter and candid shots. I have to admit though that I was really self conscious about my skin. It broke out pretty badly this past week, and even though the make-up artist was reassuring me and told me that all models have problems with their skin in Milan because of the water, it didn't make me feel any less gross.

So, I hope the shots turn out great & the photographer & clients love them. Getting tearsheets from this will be huge for getting more work. Tearsheets from Vogue Sposa! I have to stop being so paranoid and worrying that they won't like the shots & won't use them. Yeah, I think I am a basketcase...but a happy one!!

Crazy French male model (can't remeber his name, but he was side splittingly hilarious) and me at the shoot.....he made the photographer's assistant take this polaroid of us....

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 comment:

Joan P. said...

Pix!